Updated: Aug 18, 2021
Are you thinking of buying an aquarium for the first time? Here are our top 5 handy tips to find the right aquarium for you:
1) Choose The Right Size. Many people opt for smaller tanks when they first purchase an aquarium, thinking that they are easier to maintain than large tanks. However, it is generally easier to regulate the water chemistry and temperature of a larger tank than a small tank. A larger tank also allows you to accommodate a growing collection of aquatic creatures, making it a smarter long-term investment.
2) Choose The Right Supplier. It is important to choose a reputable supplier to ensure that your aquarium is safe and well-built. At Mentone Aquarium, we only stock high-quality brands and our own custom built tanks that are thoroughly tested before sale. If your budget is limited and you are considering a second-hand aquarium, make sure you ask the seller to fill it with water in front of you so that you can check for leaks before purchasing.
3) Choose The Right Location. Finding the right spot for your aquarium will make a huge difference in the maintenance required and health of your aquatic creatures. The best location is a secure low-traffic area that will prevent the aquarium from being disrupted or knocked over. Avoiding direct sunlight, heaters or air vents is also important to prevent algae blooms and water pollution.
4) Choose The Right Accessories. The most basic setup for an aquarium includes a filter, heater, thermometer and water testing kit to ensure that your aquatic creatures are kept healthy. You will also need gravel or sand at the bottom of the tank, as well as plants and shelter so that your pets can hide when feeling stressed.
5) Choose The Right Aquatic Creatures. Finding the right creatures for your aquarium can be a difficult task for beginners. Many species have different care requirements and do not coexist with other species well. It is best to talk to the experts about what aquarium you have in mind so that they can guide you in ensuring that it is right for your pets’ wellbeing and health.
Still not sure where to start? Give us a call on 03) 9583 5233 and our friendly team can advise you on the right aquarium for your needs.